History of Rings
A ring is a small form of jewelry worn on one's fingers, and just like any other type of jewelry, the ring was discovered as being worn by civilizations from the 3rd millennia BC. It is said that each finger has a symbolic meaning; for example, the fourth digit or ring finger of the left hand has become the place for wedding and engagement rings but in some countries, they wear it on the right-hand finger. Rings are worn not only on the fingers but also on the toes, the ears, and through the nose. Besides serving to beautify the body, rings have also functioned as representatives of authority, fidelity, or social status.
The circle can have a circular, semicircular, or square cross-section, or it can be shaped like a flat band. A ring bearing stones consists of three parts: the circle, or hoop, the shoulders, and the bezel.
Rings are made of almost any hard material and substances such as wood, bone, stone, metal, glass, gemstone, or plastic. They may be set with gemstones like diamond, ruby, sapphire, and emerald or with other types of stone or glass. The ring symbolizes, infinity, it is endless, eternal, just the way commitment should be. Rings also hold great sentimental and traditional value.
Types of Ring - Diamond Ring, Engagement Ring, Wedding Ring, etc.
There are lots of types of rings that you can choose depending on what you like or the occasion.
- Diamond Rings - Diamond rings are the traditional engagement ring for women. These rings typically design a diamond as the centerpiece of the jewelry.
- Gold Rings - Gold, historically worn to represent wealth and royalty. But these days, gold is much more accessible to the general population, with options from yellow, white, and rose gold to choose from.
- Class Rings - This type of ring is very popular and known in the United States. These are rings that serve your school and graduation year. These rings are a symbol of your affiliation and are a memorable souvenir.
- Wedding Ring - The sign of love. Both men and women typically wear a wedding ring in many cultures. These rings can be made of any materials.
- Moissanite Rings - Moissanite is a normally occurring mineral that makes a wonderful centerpiece for a ring.
- Silver Ring - silver is an excellent choice for a men’s or women’s ring. These can also be blended as a combination of steel and chromium to fend off the tarnishing of the silver.
- Birthstone Ring - A birthstone is assigned to each month of the year. It is common for people to own jewelry that contains their birthstone, symbolizing certain characteristics. For example, sapphire is for a person who's born in September.
- Platinum Ring - made of some of the most precious jewelry materials. Platinum rings are typically more expensive than silver or gold. The color of the material seems almost like silver with a more mellow tone.
- Titanium Ring - It is a very fashionable metal for men’s rings. This material is very lightweight which makes it a more comfortable ring.
- Promise Ring - a promise ring is another type of symbolic ring. One can use any type of ring for a promise ring, but it is usually a traditional gemstone or metal ring. These rings are used to symbolize a promise usually religiously or culturally.
How to Choose the Perfect Ring?
To choose a ring, you’ll need to select a style, metal, and ring size and color. You also need to consider the occasion or event when choosing the type of ring that you're going to wear or use.
If you want to give someone a ring make sure you consider her or his personality and lifestyle. If the wearer wants to charm with beauty, she might love a setting that endures her diamond higher, or perhaps one that features shimmering sets of diamonds.
Do you or your loved ones love natural or unique styles? Rings with natural elements in their designs such as pearls, vines, flowers, leaves, or snowflakes may be just some of the ideas of design you consider, to suit your (or their) style.
When you choose a ring, it is essential to choose the type of precious metal that will form the ring. Does your beloved enjoy a fashionable style of rings? Or does she only like the sleek, simple, and classy ones? Your loved ones may like a specific color of stone or metal, so you may want to find this out beforehand, before purchasing. If instead, you are hoping to surprise your special someone with a gift - you may also want to consider their birthday, lifestyle, and personality while choosing for them!
Also, when choosing the right diamond ring, you should also consider the 4'cs -which stand for diamond cut, color, clarity, and carat weight.
When to Wear a Ring?
Once you get into the attitude of using rings for different occasions, you may find it difficult to quit. They’re small but addictive.
- If you are going to a date night, this is your chance to wear your favorite rings or whatever your partner gave you. If you'll eat in a very fancy and expensive restaurant, then you should wear something sophisticated and elegant. Wear a strong statement ring that adds a bit of spark to your finger. Even better, combine a couple of large and small rings across your hands.
- For the engagement, your engagement ring should always reflect your personality, lifestyle, or anything that defines who you are.
- At work, wearing rings can be such a great way to express yourself. Always remember that dressing professionally is very important at work, and can have a vital impression on the way others notice you. Complex rings can be a great way to show off your character in pure and expert behavior. At work, choose rings that are somewhat humble. Stay away from overly large rings - those are for your weekends!
- For a party, wear your glamorous, fabulous gemstones. This is your time to shine and stand out from the crowd. Wear your dazzling and shimmering gold to impress everyone at the party.
How to clean gold rings?
Here’s the simplest way to clean your gold ring.
- Get a bowl and fill in lukewarm water, add some mild dish soap to prepare a simple cleaning solution.
- Soak your gold rings in the solution, and leave them in it for about 20-30 minutes. Use a thin brush or a smooth cloth to clean dirt off the jewelry.
- Rinse the soap off your gold rings with water.
- Dry your jewelry with a clean towel.
Which carat gold is best for rings?
It says that 24k gold is 100% pure gold, and pure gold is much too soft, smooth, and flexible to make a ring. 18k and 14k yellow gold rings have the best balance of gold and alloyed metals for long-lasting quality.
Where to buy quality gold rings?
Right here, at IceCarats!
How to shop for engagement rings?
There are lots of things to consider when buying someone you love an engagement ring. Her style; it is very important to know her style before buying her an engagement ring. Does she like glamorous or just a simple one? Is she sociable and has an active lifestyle or a quiet and simple one? Buying her the right engagement ring represents how well you know your soon to be wife. Most importantly, always know and consider your budget. Evermore, it is always practical that you know how much you are willing to spend on her engagement ring.