History of Medical ID Jewelry
Medical identification products are internationally recognized tags or emblems highlighting that the wearer has a medical condition that the public should be aware of - should they be involved in an emergency or accident. These medical emblems are often attached to jewelry pieces such as bracelets and necklaces for convenience and visibility. Often distinguishable with a medical symbol in either red or blue - the items are then engraved with the specific personal medical information that first responders or any emergency services should be aware of.
These tags are often made out of Sterling Silver or Stainless Steel but can also come in various materials such as items in the IceCarats collection - cast from both 14K white and yellow gold. From your average simple styles, we have such an extensive range of medical alert bracelets to more stylish medical alert bracelets to those specific medical alert bracelets for women.
Types of Medical ID Bracelets
Medical ID bracelets come in various types. Bracelets bearing a logo or inscription indicating a particular medical condition are the most common. These bracelets are available with pre-engraved conditions, pre-engraved symbols, or as engravable medical ID bracelets - ready for your customization with your medical history. Some well-known logos are for conditions such as Type 1 Diabetes, Alzheimer’s, severe allergies, and even bee stings.
Bracelets are widely accepted as the preferred form of ID tag if one chooses to wear a medical identification tag, as they allow for self-contained information that does not require technology for immediate viewing in an emergency. Suppose the wearer happens to be in a situation where they are injured and unable to communicate for themselves. In that case, the tag, if found by an emergency responder, will communicate all and any critical information regarding their medical needs. EMTs will likely notice anything on your wrist first. Other locations could go unnoticed until much later.
How to Choose your Medical Alert Bracelet?
The medical alert bracelet is one of the most important pieces of jewelry you will ever buy and own. It is designed to speak for you when you cannot. Since this medical ID bracelet is an item that you will wear every day, we recommend considering the following when purchasing one:
- Medical ID Bracelet or Medical ID Necklace? Emergency Medical Services Personnel is trained to check around the wrists and neck, so you should start by thinking about what jewelry you typically wear and are comfortable with. Choosing a type and style you love is essential, given that it is advised that medical IDs be worn at all times.
- Material of Medical Alert Bracelet: While wanting to stick to your preferred price point - considering the type of material that your medical ID bracelet is made out of is very important in terms of its durability. Stainless steel is known for being scratch-proof - but in some cases can be known to cause skin allergies. Silicone bracelets are popular for those individuals with a more active lifestyle and are available in different colors for the younger generations. Those looking for stylish medical alert bracelets will appreciate the broad selection on offer right here at IceCarats.
- Engraving options. Another important feature to consider is whether or not to purchase an engravable medical ID bracelet - and most importantly, what information you wish to engrave. When you cannot speak for yourself, this is the best way to communicate your health conditions. Different styles will allow for different amounts of information to be engraved on the item. Classic styles allow for front and back engraving - while more stylish designs will be one side only.
- Medical ID Bracelets for different occasions – available in a range of styles, individuals can choose standard looking bracelets for discreet, everyday wear; or choose more stylish and dainty medical bracelets for those more formal occasions. Specific medical alert bracelets for women are also available - for those who prefer something more lightweight and pretty to wear.
We would recommend having a few sets with the same information to choose from - allowing you to mix and match your medical jewelry to suit your mood, style, or any event you are attending.
When to Wear Medical Alert Jewelry?
Individuals with the following health conditions are advised to wear Medical Alert Bracelets (rather than just Emergency Contact Information jewelry) all of the time:
- Diabetes (type 1 or type 2)
- Alzheimer’s or memory impairment
- special needs
- chronic illness
- hypertension, a history of stroke, or other cardiac problems
- severe food, drug, or insect allergies
- epilepsy or seizures
- kidney disease
- visual or hearing impairment
Medical Alert Bracelets can also be worn to indicate the following:
- You take certain medications, like blood thinners
- You use a pacemaker or other important piece of medical equipment
- You are a surgery, transplant, or cancer patient
Who should wear a medical alert bracelet?
Anyone with any health condition can wear a medical bracelet, whether engraved with specific medical history information or have a visible emblem representing a particular condition. Anyone who would like this information to be communicated in an emergency should wear some medical jewelry on them at all times.
What to put on a medical ID bracelet?
Any information regarding your health condition, history, or current condition would help an EMT or First Responder know what should go on your ID. Medical information and Emergency Contact name and number are also useful to have on your medical jewelry.
Which wrist should you wear your medical ID on?
EMTs are trained to look for medical alert jewelry around the wrists and neck - so your bracelet can be worn on whichever wrist you find most comfortable for everyday wear.
Where can I buy a medical alert bracelet?
Right here, at IceCarats.com! Search our wide range of medical jewelry, medical ID bracelets, stylish medical ID bracelets, and medical alert bracelets for women. With a wide range of styles, designs, and materials to choose from, IceCarats’ has you covered.